Sunday 25 August 2019

Emotional brutality amongst the brutalist campus architecture...



Watched a BBC documentary on the Warwick University rape "banter" case…. Reminded me that I dislike Warwick University.   I knew someone many years ago who went there who was bullied there.  When I went for the interview for Warwick I absolutely hated the place and the few times I’ve visited I’ve disliked it too.  It’s such an ugly concrete blob.  As a stand up visiting such places in later life I’ve continued to dislike campus Universities.  Martin Coyote used to do a gag “I’ve been doing a lot of University gigs recently – I feel like somebody’s dad who’s been sent round to cheer everybody up".  Where I went to University in Leeds there is a campus but it’s very much in and still part of the town and so you don’t feel the same sense of isolation.  Listening to the men ranking women in the order they would like to rape them I wondered if the dystopian sense of isolation that the brutalist concrete architecture seems to me to represent was a factor in any of this.   

The female student who bravely gave her testimony straight to camera in the dystopian setting of a completely empty student bar explaining how these people had all been close personal friends of her’s and her friends…

...how they’d been to each other’s houses at Christmas, been on holidays together and all of that while at the same time the men had been ranking the women as potential rape victims and fantasising about pinning them down…. 

...made me wonder if the claustrophobia/agoraphobia these places engender in me is a factor in any of this...   Only I never really hung out with the cream of University society but even I can’t remember having discussions with my mates about raping women ...

....but that may be because the internet hadn't been invented and I didn’t have many friends.  I spent most of my time hanging out with older people who had left the University but still hung round the student union as like a sort of social flotsam and jetsam.   I’ve heard other people say they were bullied at University and when I look at these campus Universities they increasingly remind me of schools and it always seems that the people who say this went to one of these enclosed campus Universties - sorry "Unis".  A place to herd young people away where they won’t be bothering the grown-ups… 

Everyone came over quite well except the rape centre lady who complained that it was wrong of the University to call the complainant in for an interview the day after the allegations were made yet simultaneously complained about the University later taking two months to reach a decision which seemed a bit moaning for the sake of it.  However, she had a point that people going into these processes don't really know what they're letting themselves in for or how big it will get...  

The University got in trouble for cross-examining the victims and using a press officer to do the investigation but all this would have faded away if – having separated the internet bystanders from the actively involved – they hadn’t then done a U-turn and reduced their suspensions from 10 years to 1 year.   

What’s the point in a 1 year suspension anyway?  What happened to people getting “sent down” like in P G Wodehouse novels…Oddly when it came to this issue the rape centre lady didn’t really make her points very well… but I suppose she means well.  Can’t be a nice job…

Call me a graduate from the University of the Bleeding Obvious but it has to be said that there was indeed something very nasty about the whole thing.  Even the bystanders amongst the Warwick 11 leave you with a feeling that all these people were “in on it” whether actively engaged or not.  Part of me wondered were some of these men just using the word “rape” as an inflammatory substitute for “fuck” but that didn't really fly as an excuse for what they did even to my inner Horace Rumpole… it was like a kind of Lord of the Flies meets In Dubious Battle.  Anyway … let us away from this depressing subject…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Rudi have some shame...?

For a laugh I regularly change my Facebook profile photo to someone inappropriate.  No one's ever complained about this despite it proba...

Least ignored nonsense this month...