Tuesday 1 January 2019

Pick Any Brexit with Jacob Rees-Mogg




In case you are sad enough not to have had enough of Brexit already I discovered turning on my television the other day that the BBC Parliament Channel have a series of Brexit lectures.  I was spellbound for an hour watching Jacob Ress-Mogg talking complete rubbish about the subject.  


One of the worst things about getting older is the complete lack of genuine social mobility in this country is rubbed in by seeing the offspring of pompous potentates rise to be pompous potentates.  Jacob Rees-Mogg has more than a passing resemblance to his father the late Lord William Rees-Mogg who’s great contribution to society was to wield the funding axe at the Arts Council and reduce the number of grants by fifty per cent.  I’m sure Jacob will also be elevated to the lords after he has made a similar contribution to our no-such-thing-as-society.

Between episodes of bizarre historical whimsy such as telling us about King John giving England to the Pope he offered three different alternative futures to viewers and listeners in the way that a conjurer might ask a punter to “pick any card”.   Not surprisingly by the end of the lecture we ended up with the Jack of Hard Brexits.  

There is a whole series of these lectures from Tony Blair to Ken Clarke to John Redwood I discover perusing the BBC website.  Each of them as thrilling as each other… In case you need an overview I have included a picture of a  Christmasy toy inexplicably tied to a lamppost on the Purley Way for no adequately explained reason.   

Happy New Calamity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have today resigned my membership of the Garrick Club

To quell public speculation on the subject I wish it to be know that I have today resigned my membership of the Garrick Club.   As a sometim...

Least ignored nonsense this month...