Tuesday 20 November 2018

Annuity? Nah just give me the money




Another day...  Another incomprehensible pension statement in the post...   

This one offers me a staggering £1 and 2p a day to add to my state pension when I finally buy an annuity - Or £372 a year.   

There is they claim (inflation adjusted for 2038) £15300 in the fund.  They expect me to retire at 65.  If I live to the average male lifespan of 80 years that will mean the annuity would pay out a total £5,580 – about 1/3 of money I have amassed in it.   

I think I see a pattern emerging.  All these plans when it comes to buying an annuity only offer you about a third of the total in the pot.  Clearly this is because of the enormous risk that I should live to be 106 at which point Fidelity would start losing money.  If I assure them that I drink heavily and smoke large Cuban cigars might they perhaps accept that this is unrealistic and let me have some of the £9720 they’re unlikely to pay out before I pop my clogs.  These pensions seem to me to be a licence for financial institutions to accrue cash they never have to part with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sewerella on Manoeuvres

  Switched on the telly today to find Sewerella was on manoeuvres on the BBC being interviewed by Laura Kuensscyborg about how Rishi is not ...

Least ignored nonsense this month...