Multi

Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Seat Belts

 





























Claire is one stupid woman.  Apart from seat belts I could think of many others... But oh how I remember how people used to whinge about seat belts.  Despite the PhilosophiƦ Naturalis Principia Mathematica being with us since 1687 right wing people in the 70s had huge free will debates about it and how it was unethical of the State to not allow them to be fatally propelled through their windscreen due to massive changes in momentum.  Rather than simply change the law Jimmy Savile was wheeled out to tell everyone to Clunk Click Every Trip which didn't exactly make everyone safer.  It wasn't till we got an actual scientist as Prime Minister that seat belts were made compulsory in the front seats of motors in 1983.  Children in the back seats were of course still expected to exempt themselves from the Newtonian laws of motion and continued to be fatally propelled through windscreens until 1991 when John Major who had lost his left knee cap in a car accident in Nigeria before he became Prime Minister thought that possibly it might be better for the continuation of the species for this to cease.

Other examples :

Round windows on airplanes after BOAC Flight 781.

Replacement of CFCs with HFC-134a in Refrigerators

Removal of lead from Petrol

Etc


No comments:

Post a Comment

Seat Belts

  Claire is one stupid woman.  Apart from seat belts I could think of many others... But oh how I remember how people used to whinge about s...

Least ignored nonsense this month...