Saturday 5 October 2024

Amazon Fire Stick is doing important security things so don't press any buttons that might turn your TV on...

 

Once upon a time I purchased an HG Smart TV but despite the artificial intelligence revolution and its claims be Mensa level clever it doesn't seem to have learned anything since I installed it.

BBC IPlayer for example never really worked properly on it since it could never remember when I'd paused a program resulting in it automatically starting the next program whilst I was still watching the one I was watching.

Netflix worked okay on it and Amazon grudgingly worked on it with some prompting on a manual keyboard.

However, last month it started whinging like Lawrence Fox on a podcast and BBC IPlayer, Netflix and Amazon started warning me that they would all be stopping work on October 1st like a bunch of 1970s Trade Union leaders organising a general strike / illegal secondary action.  Faced with this outbreak of digital industrial action I called upon HG to ask them what to do and they suggested that rather than throw my Smart TV for which they do not offer software updates anymore in the dustbin, I could invest in one of these Amazon Fire TV sticks.  I would then be able to watch everything I used to watch but with the added inconvenience of using two remote controls instead of one. 

The Fire Stick TV remote however is a very important and busy device and often tells me that it too is stopping work to install important security updates and that I must not press any buttons whilst it is doing this.  It tells me this all the time so it is clearly stuck in some kind of processing loop but I've found if one broadly ignores its entreaties it works anyway.  Come too that I notice that Amazon and Netflix still work fine on my old TV interface despite their strong protestation that they were definitely down-tooling 4 days ago... I wonder how long that'll last.  Even BBC IPlayer is still struggling on but struggling is the word...  When run on the TV stick it's obsessed with collecting security numbers from my mobile phone.

I wondered if the security updates bug was something just affecting me but it seems not... apparently the solution to this is to install more dodgy Amazon software on my mobile phone...

Bit of a recursive loop?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Fire Stick is doing important security things so don't press any buttons that might turn your TV on...

  Once upon a time I purchased an HG Smart TV but despite the artificial intelligence revolution and its claims be Mensa level clever it doe...

Least ignored nonsense this month...