Thursday 26 March 2020

How we doin'...?

Yesterday there were 136 confirmed cases in Croydon, out of a local population of 385,346.  That statistic doesn't really tell you much on it's own as to how well we're fighting Coronavirus as a nation though so I thought I'd do a bit of statistical analysis.

I looked at the raw statistics of the number of confirmed cornonavirus deaths per country and divided it by the number of confirmed cornonavirus cases per country.

I then removed all countries with less than 1000 cases on the basis that that probably isn't a large enough mean sample size to give reliable data from.

I then removed Countries from the stats that did not have reliable recovery data or who had a recovery number of less than 100 on the basis that it doesn't look like the virus is fully established there yet and there hasn't been a long enough throughput of cases from infection to full recovery to give a reasonable estimate of the likelihood of recovery in those countries.

After that I got this graph...

....so Italy has the highest death rate and at the moment we're in 5th place behind France, Spain and Iran.  Now it may be some countries are better at recording their data than we are but all in all it's a bit poor, isn't it?  I'm not sure what these stats truly signify I just did them as a back-of-the-envelope calculation out of curiosity.  But what do you think?  Because I think we should all move to South Korea.  If you want to play at making your own graphs the raw data is here.

Late update...

There are 181 confirmed cases in Croydon, out of a local population of 385,346

For an updated version of these stats - see here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon Fire Stick is doing important security things so don't press any buttons that might turn your TV on...

  Once upon a time I purchased an HG Smart TV but despite the artificial intelligence revolution and its claims be Mensa level clever it doe...

Least ignored nonsense this month...